Friday, July 27, 2007

The Joy of Socks

I knit socks.

But it hasn't always been the case.

Two years ago I discovered the simplicity of a handknitted sock. A 3-week sock knitting course at my LYS showed me the ins and outs of turning a heel, grafting the toe and what a gusset is.

I was so proud of my newly acquired skills that I wanted to repeat this experiment and knit another pair without guidance.

Yarn was grabbed from my stash and I knitted my little heart out. Here was proof positive that I could knit socks! So I gave them to my husband and as expected, praise was lavished upon them.

Then a stroke of bad luck fell on the socks. Calamity. Misfortune. Hot water. Literally. The little buggers decided to take a spin in the washing machine. They came out smaller than they went in. Felted.



For two years I've held onto them, not knowing what to do with them. Until now.

Now they have a new home.

A fellow blogger, Carina of Save Our Socks, is asking for donations of gently worn handknit socks for various charities. She can evaluate how best to fix them or if needed, recycle the yarn for new socks. Visit her blog for more information: http://saveoursocks.blogspot.com/

Spread the joy of socks.

No comments: